Wednesday 20 February 2008, 10.45 – 16.15
Oracle’s City of London Building
The Lab Group is an Association for Learning Technology - supported
collaboration between labs which undertake research and development in learning mediated by technology.
There is no charge for attendance.
The closing date for bookings is Monday 11 February 2008. To access the latest version of a brief summary of each lab’s work, showing which lab is presenting when during the day, go to the full programme for the day.
Labs so far committed to participate are as follows:
• The Centre for Applied Research in Educational Technologies (CARET) –
• Inspire – Anglia Ruskin University
• Institute for Educational Cybernetics – Bolton University
• Institute of Educational Technology – Open University
• Institute for Learning and Research Technology (ILRT) – Bristol University
• Futurelab – Bristol
• Institute for Social and Technical Research (formerly Chimera) – Essex University
• Learning Science Research Institute (LSRI) – Nottingham University
• Learning Societies Lab – Southampton University
• Learning Technology Research Institute (LTRI) – London Metropolitan University
• London Knowledge Lab – Birkbeck and the Institute of Education
• The Serious Games Institute (SGI) – Coventry University
• SmartLab – University of East London
At least two Labs will address the Serious Games field:
The Serious Games Institute (SGI)
– Coventry University
– Sara de Freitas
Based in Coventry University’s Technology Park, the SGI is an international centre of excellence for Serious Games. The Institute provides a close interface between high-level applied academic research and leading edge technology companies in the field of Serious Games and virtual world applications.
The session will be themed “Engaging learners in immersive worlds” and will give demonstrations of leading edge uses of Serious Games and virtual world applications for learning and training. The session will include presentations from SGI residents: Jude Ower (Digital 2.0), Ron Edwards (Ambient Performance), David Burden (Daden Ltd) and Sara de Freitas (SGI). Each will give short presentations demonstrating the use of immersive applications developed by SGI residents and partners.
– University of East London
– Lisbeth Goodman
SMARTlab hosts a formidable team of recognized industry professionals which includes Designers Artists, Technologists, Game Designers, Educationalists, Film makers, Interaction Experts, Programmers, Architects and Engineers. Many of their team started their careers in the commercial sector and have a wealth of expertise in Experience Design for the Educational sector as well as for the Serious Games, Assistive Technology, Retail, Entertainment and Hospitality Industries, and have selected SMARTlab as the most appropriate base for high level research and knowledge transfer.
To book your place at the Open Day please follow the link to the online booking form on the ALT web site at http://www.alt.ac.uk/.